I feel like I have a lot to say today. Maybe I just have a lot of energy so I’m feeling chatty. I think it’s interesting that when I was just eating low-carb I felt tired all the time and had all kinds of cravings. Here are the difference as I see them between my low-carb lifestyle (a la Atkins) and now:
- Low Carb: I ate something early in the morning but was usually hungry again by 9:30AM or so. I don’t think I was eating enough.
- Now: I’m eating as soon as I wake up, between 50 and 75g of protein. I start getting hungry about 6 hours after eating breakfast. If I can’t eat right away though, it’s no big deal. I can put off hunger for 1-2 hours by drinking water.
- Low Carb: I was also kind of eating low fat. I still believed animal fat was evil, so I was eating a lot of low-fat boneless skinless chicken breast. I was worried that saturated fat caused heart disease, so I went easy on the butter too.
- Now: I’m actually adding fat to my green tea. It’s insanity!
- Low Carb: No tropical oils. Saturated fat was evil.
- Now: I’m downing coconut oil and Nutiva’s Coconut Manna at an amazing clip. I calculated I consume about 3 oz per day of the manna, and 2-3 Tbs a day of coconut oil. Yay for healthy and nutritious saturated fat!
- Low Carb: I was snacking all the time.
- Now: No snacks. 3 meals. Period.
- Low Carb: I was tired all the time. I came home from work and wanted to sleep.
- Now: I have a ton of energy. I wish I had more waking hours to do all the things that are interesting to me right now. I have to prioritize.
- Low Carb: I drank cans of diet soda or coffee with sugar-free sweetener throughout the day. I didn’t like drinking water. I needed a lot of caffeine to stay awake and alert.
- Now: I have 1/2 of a caffeine pill in the morning (100mg), and maybe some green tea in the afternoon. I sometimes forget the caffeine pill and I’m fine. I do still like caffeine though, and feel a little better if I take it.
- Low Carb: With all the caffeine in me from the diet pop, I usually didn’t feel like going to bed until 11 or 12…and I was losing sleep all week because of it. My mood was foul a lot of the time.
- Now: I go to bed when I’m tired, usually around 9:30 or 10:00. I miss the time I had to myself when I stayed up late, but I do feel better throughout the day, not being so sleep-deprived.
- Low Carb: Lots of cheese
- Now: About 1oz of cheese 3-4 times of week. Otherwise no dairy.
- Low Carb: Lots of nightshades
- Now: Very few nightshades…maybe 1-2 oz of chopped tomatoes that show up on a salad at a restaurant 1x a week. Dr. K. says nightshades cause a leaky gut. I have a personal problem with the term “leaky gut.” Why don’t they call it “leaky intestine” or “leaky colon.” Then maybe it wouldn’t sound so “woo” like.
I do have much more energy now. I now come home from work and have the energy to play with my daughter – for 2 hours sometimes – whereas I used to need a nap or a long break from social interaction.
Mood. My husband and I were just talking about changes he’s seen in me since I stared eating a Paleo diet and following the Leptin Reset. He said to me, “You have no idea how crazy you were.” Apparently my mood swings were fairly extreme. I don’t remember it that way, but…well, he’s probably right. And I was taking antidepressants then. Now I’m off of the meds and feeling positive every day.